Gallstones And Diverticulitis

Gallstones And Diverticulitis

Although bile lithiasis and diverticulitis usually start with different symptoms, they can rarely cause a similar type of pain, causing the doctor a diagnostic dilemma. In most cases, the signs and symptoms are different enough to allow simple and rapid diagnosis and treatment. Diverticulitis is an inflammation of the small pouches of your large intestine, also known as the colon. Gallstones are hardened bile formations, such as pebbles, located in the gallbladder, which is below the right thoracic cage.

Biliary lithiasis, called acute cholecystitis, may appear for the first time with a sudden, severe pain centered below the right rib cage, associated with back pain, nausea, vomiting, and fever. The disease can also be a chronic condition and can get worse after a fatty meal. This is chronic cholecystitis. A surgeon will be able to examine you and determine that your gallbladder is the probable source of your symptoms. If so, an admission to the hospital may be necessary. They can give you antibiotics and, ultimately, the gallbladder can be removed using a procedure known as laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Once the diseased gallbladder has been removed and you have recovered, you should not experience major problems.

Diverticulitis, an inflammation of the pouches of the colon, produces a pain that ranges from mild to intense and usually occurs on the left side of your abdomen. A perforated diverticulitis can also present with a stiffness in the abdomen. A colon and rectal surgeon, formerly known as a proctologist, or a general surgeon evaluates you and usually begins antibiotic treatment. Rarely, diverticulitis requires hospitalization, especially if you have experienced a perforation that allows the free flow of colon contents into your abdominal cavity. Diverticulitis is usually a disease of adult individuals.

Education and being attentive to your symptoms is the wisest and easiest course to avoid the complications of any of these diseases. Usually, the pain associated with these conditions leads you to consult your doctor, who can refer you to a colon and rectal specialist for diverticulitis or to a general surgeon for biliary lithiasis. Ask advice from the beginning to the doctor and do not be afraid to call him when you need help. Educate yourself about the course of your illness.

Legal notice

Dr. Hoffman does not endorse any product displayed on this website.

Video Tutorial: gallstones.

Like This? Share With Friends: