Is The Wild Apple Dangerous?

Is The Wild Apple Dangerous?

A 1/4 to 2 inches In diameter, wild apples look like miniature versions of regular apples. However, a wild apple tree has a bitter and concise flavor. Despite their unpleasant sharpness, wild apples are generally not dangerous. This type of apples can give you a stomach ache if you eat a few, but they will not cause poisoning. Like regular apples, their seeds contain toxins. However, you would have to eat in huge doses to experience serious problems.

Wild apples

Wild apples are usually not grown for their fruits. The small apples are so intense and bitter that most people only spit them out quickly. You can use some varieties of wild apple larger and slightly softer to make jam. Despite its bitter taste, flowering apple trees are attractive in gardens. Like its close cousin, the apple, the wild apple tree often blooms in very white or purple flowers. This makes them useful as ornamental species

Toxicity

Wild apples are essentially of the same species as apple trees. The seeds of these two trees contain a form of cyanide called cyanogenic glycoside. Cyanide is a toxic and potentially deadly poison. However, the average American consumes around 16.9 pounds of fresh apples every year and does not report any toxic effects. Despite the presence of cyanide in the seeds, most people do not eat the kernel. Even when the apple seeds are ingested, they pass through the intestine without decomposing. Therefore, you would have to eat a lot of wild apple seeds and crush or chew them for the cyanide to take effect.

Pets

Wild apples may present more danger to pets such as dogs. Animals that eat wild apples may show signs of discomfort, according to ASPCA experts. In severe cases, if an animal eats lots of wild apples, including stems, leaves and seeds, they may show signs of cyanide poisoning. Dogs rarely eat enough plant material to cause a real problem, but horses, sheep, cows and other herbivorous animals can eat wild apples in sufficient quantities to cause some toxic effects.

Considerations

If you are concerned that wild apple fruit is dangerous, remove the core, stem, leaves and seeds before use. These are the only parts with toxic cyanogenic glycosides. Acid pulp of wild apples does not contain poisonous substance.Therefore, use only the white pulp in your jams, jellies and bitter pies without exposing yourself to danger. Of course, as with any fruit, avoid rotten or moldy fruit that can cause food poisoning.

Video Tutorial: 10 Common Foods People Eat That Are Actually Poisonous.

Like This? Share With Friends: